Kindly send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title "Design Manager"
Job Title: Design Manager (UAE)
Reporting Into: Design Director
Direct Reports: Designers, Visualizers, Project Architects and CAD Draughtsman
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Coordinate all design matters relating to our projects in the Middle East and Asia. Ensure that the design process from defining the brief with the client to concept creation, through developed and technical design phases and the delivery of all temporary structures and interior fit-out for projects is achieved efficiently and professionally within a client’s budget.
- Co-ordinate and oversee the design process from brief to onsite execution.
- Ensure that the Design Director is aware of all stages of the project and work closely with them and the CCO to ensure that the concepts are on brief and approved.
- To be the main point of contact on design for the assigned project for the client, internal teams, and subcontractors during all stages of design and build.
- Ensure effective communication of all design-related discussions/decisions with project stakeholders (Client, Design Director, Contractors, Structural Engineer, Local Authorities, and Project Management team).
- Input and design direction into creative concepts during the brief-taking phase.
- Preparation of mood boards and zoning plans to ensure a thorough brief to other members of the design team.
- Oversee the workflow through the design department, coordinating with and checking the output of the Senior Designer, Visualizer, Project Architect, and Technical Draftsmen.
- Liaising with the Design Director on the allocation of resources required to meet the requirements of the project.
- Presentation of design concepts to the client.
- Prepare RFIs to ensure the timely flow of information to and from all parties to facilitate the creative process and schedule.
- Input to and monitor the schedule to ensure successful and timely delivery of all design stages.
- Arrange and attend workshop meetings with all project parties to facilitate design coordination.
- Assist with the resolution of design clashes and conflicts to expedite the design and delivery process. Ensuring all correct parties are informed.
- Review design packages before submittals to ensure all information is correct.
- Oversee material submittals and present them to the client where needed.
- Provide design expertise to the estimation and procurement team during the tendering and pricing process.
- Review and respond to Contractor’s submittals ensuring alignment with the overall design intent and architecture.
- Recommend value engineering and design modifications where suitable to reduce project costs and help the team meet commercial objectives. Support the commercial team to ensure smooth workflow, fulfillment of contractual obligations, and successful delivery of commercial objectives. Oversee communication with the relevant authorities.
- Support the commercial team to ensure smooth workflow, fulfillment of contractual obligations, and successful delivery of commercial objectives.
- Oversee communication with the relevant authorities.
- Site visits to support the delivery team and ensure the build is being implemented in alignment with the approved design.
- Oversee any freelance project design staff or sub-contracted design consultants.
- Assist project management staff with document control and drawing-related queries.
- Manage any onsite team of CAD draughtsmen (only on larger-scale projects).
- Maintenance of design log to maintain proper document control and job costing.
- Ensuring all relevant design documents are filed and logged on the in-house system.
- Ensure that all Design Standard Operating Procedures have been adhered to.
- Passionate about design and creatively led individual.
- Organised, thorough multitasker with a strong eye for detail.
- Excellent communicator, with good people skills.
- Strong negotiator.
- Able to problem solve and respond to a constantly changing situation.
- Flexible and fluid attitude, thriving in a dynamic work environment with a willingness and availability to work outside office hours when needed.
AutoCAD, Excel, and SketchUp are a bonus.
Education and Experience:
- A degree majoring in Architecture is a must.
- 15+ years experience in architecture or interior design management for commercial/hospitality/event projects.
- Arabic speaker a bonus.